From the Most Unexpected Places
Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Life has been crazy!!
I'm working on a big event at work and although I'm loving it, it's left me little time to de-stress on here. It's suprising that in such a short time, this forum has come to mean so much to me.

People define themselves in many ways. If you were to ask me to define myself, one description would be Army Brat, the other, Patriotic. I grew up the child of a career military soldier in a time when it was still possible to go career. If my father were still alive, he would be one of the first to tell you that today's military is nothing like what he grew up in. And I do mean grew up, he joined when he was sixteen to get away from a hard home environment. Back in those days, it wasn't too hard to get little things like age changed enough on a birth certificate to pass.

I remember driving in the car on base and having to stop, get out, and put my hand over my heart because they were lowering the flag. My father instilled in us a sense of pride in our Country and in the soldiers that often give their lives for it. He did two tours in Vietnam and was often asked if he agreed with the war. His reply was simple, "I signed up for this man's army and I am here to do the job they send me to do. It doesn't matter whether I agree with it or not."
He had the option of not going but went because he didn't want to send his men into a situation with a commander they didn't know.

I hate this war that we have in Iraq, I in no way agree with it and I think our president has ulterior motives, BUT, and it's a big one, I support our soldiers 100% because, like my father before them, they are doing the job they signed on to do, whether they agree with it or not. After 911 everyone was so patriotic they practically bled red, white, and blue. Now, with the differing of opinions on the war in Iraq and with the cushion of time between us and September 11th, it's so easy to go back to our indifferent ways.

This Saturday my son and I went to see the Seattle Mariners play against their farm team the Tacoma Rainiers. We got there early so Kendell could get autographs on his glove so that it would be "lucky". As Kendell is waiting his turn a soldier in fatigues starts past Kendell, having already gotten an autograph. Kendell looks at the man and tugs on the end of his shirt,
"Soldier, could I have YOUR autograph?"
The man's face was such an endearing mixture of embarrassment and pride. I'm sure it's a story he will go home and tell his family about, and if he doesn't have a family, it's a story that will remind him on those lonely days where he is questioning his choices, that there are still some people out there who remember who the real heroes in this world are.

I can't remember a time I was prouder of my son.

God bless each and every one of you who serve our country.






5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Kara Mia, I am proud of you and your son. I come from a long line of military and I served in the Marines for 7 years. Michele sent me.

12:23 PM, April 04, 2006 

Blogger Ally had this to say:

Hi Kara Mia, nice to meet you. Visiting from Michelle today!

10:52 AM, April 05, 2006 

Blogger srp had this to say:

What a great and wise son you have there. I bet he lifted that soldier's spirits sky high. He did get the autograph, right?

4:52 PM, April 10, 2006 

Blogger srp had this to say:

I'm sick today, at least that is my excuse for not remembering to say, "here from Michele."

4:52 PM, April 10, 2006 

Blogger Kara had this to say:

SRP, Yuppers, the soldier did indeed sign Kendells glove. Kendell is convinced that this will be his luckiest year in baseball yet!

8:52 AM, April 11, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!