Pet Peeve
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Here is something that puts a knot in my knickers every damn time.

I'm driving to work during the usual free for all that turns my hair grey every morning when I look ahead and see a bicyclist. He is on the road. There is a very nice sidewalk that extends all the way down this road we are traversing, but in his greater judgment, he decides the road is a much more acceptable place to ride to work doing 15 miles an hour. There is no bike lane on this particular road, so you have to either drive at a speed my grandmother would find comfortable (FYI...she's DEAD) or you have to go around him.

Can someone please explain to me why bicyclists INSIST on riding on the road when there is a much safer pathway for them?

I realize that they feel they are a vehicle and can use the road, but that doesn't hold water when they then proceed to ride up next to you at a stop light instead of staying behind you like another vehicle. I'm always afraid that I'm going to hit them when the light changes and we drive. It's even better when they accidentally bump into the side of my car. This is when I'd like to make a call to emergency response for a hit and run. But how exactly do you get a license plate of a bike?






4 Comments:
Blogger Darv had this to say:

Michele sent me ^_^

I always thought the same thing about bicyclers on the road. They kind of slow the system down and are more of a nussiance since there are plenty of good trails to ride on (at least in or area).

1:08 PM, March 14, 2006 

Blogger Carl V. Anderson had this to say:

Thanks for the visit! I feel your pain and agree totally. The place for bikes to be during the rush hour is NOT where one is driving a car. And how can anyone be that stupid. Do they actually think the average driver pays attention? Seems like a bit of a death wish to me.

1:18 PM, March 14, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I use to cycle and actrully in many states it is illegal for bicyclists to be on the sidewalk...we always had to be on the road. I would just not ride where traffic was heavy. But, I agree, as a driver in a car...sometimes they make it very difficult!
Here from Michele's

4:32 PM, March 14, 2006 

Blogger Linda had this to say:

Don't ever live in Germany! Bicycles are considered a VEHICLE here...you have to YIELD to them. Yes, there are a lot of designated bike paths for them...but they drive around the rest of the roads and you are responsible to watch for them. If their bike path is on the right and you're coming to an intersection, the bicyclist has the right of way to go straight.

Took me a long while to get used to it!

11:05 PM, March 16, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!