Role Reversal
Friday, March 03, 2006

I have a bad habit. Not only is it bad, it's ugly, I mean elephant man ugly.

I bite my cuticles. I bite, pull, chew and generally rend the skin around my nails into tiny little victims of the internal war constantly waging in my head.

I bit my nails till I was eighteen at which time I switched my attention to my cuticles. Now I have long lovely nails that during times of anxiety, are overshadowed by the carnage of my fingers.

It's something I do when i'm thinking or when i'm upset...translation..all the damn time! Even when it hurts, i'm still right there picking at them.
bite...ouch
bite...ouch
Yesterday at the doctors waiting for my son to have his check up, i'm sitting in the chair, bored, and turn to my nails in contemplation. I nibble on one, looking for weaknesses, you know...just testing the waters here. My son looks at me and says "mom, don't do that. You're making yourself bleed."
I come back with the superior mother comment of, "Don't worry about it"
"But MOMMMM, please stop"
so we go back and forth this way for a couple of seconds when Kendell pulls out the big guns,
"Mom, please, don't bite them. Do it for me."

Damn,
When did he learn about emotional blackmail?






6 Comments:
Blogger rashbre had this to say:

Nailbiting stuff. I don't think I've ever done this.
Though maybe I've done the emotional suasion.

Here today via Michele's - Hi!

rashbre

3:31 PM, March 03, 2006 

Blogger WendyWings had this to say:

Out of the mouths of babes,I hope you can stop for his sake :)

Michele sent me back !

4:12 PM, March 03, 2006 

Blogger Olyal had this to say:

Good luck stopping!! A friend of mine managed to stop biting her nails recently. I hope she too doesn't move on to cuticles.

Michele sent me.

4:14 PM, March 03, 2006 

Blogger Joe had this to say:

Kids are great huh!

Here via Michele.

5:06 PM, March 03, 2006 

Blogger Unknown had this to say:

I also bite my cuticles, and I've learned recently that it's considered a part of self-mutilation, like cutting or burning yourself. That has sobered me up and I'm a lot more careful about it. Let me suggest some thing to help you stop, if that's OK?

Cuticles come from very dry hands, so try slathering your hands with a thick lotion like eucerin and putting on cotton gloves while you sleep. You can get the gloves at a body shop store. Make sure you oil your cuticles a couple of times a day. Use a good cuticle oil from a beauty supply shop.

As the skin starts to harden, take a foot emory board, and file your fingers right around the cuticles. Keeping the skin smooth tends to keep cuticles from forming.

Buy yourself a cuticle scissors and trim them down as soon as they start to grow tough. The more you remove them, the less likely you are to chew them and rip them into shreds.

At this point, following my little regimen, the only fingers I still chomp on are my thumbs and they're clearing up pretty well.

Good luck.

Here via Michele

5:11 PM, March 03, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:31 PM, March 15, 2007 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!