Surprise!
Friday, February 10, 2006

I have a child who likes to scare me. He lurks in dark corners, belly crawls across the floor, hides behind couches and chairs...all in preparation for adding grey hairs to my head.

Unfortunately I have no one to blame for this but myself. I spent quite a bit of his younger years scaring the life out of him. I loved to sneak up and tickle him or hide behind corners and pop out saying "gonna getcha" and chase him around while he squealed in laughter. One of our favorite games was sneaking around the car trying to get each other, both of us shaking with suppressed giggles and anticipation of making the other person screech in surprise. The neighbors think we're nuts.

Lately however he plays this game without me being privy to the fact that were playing a game. I'll be cooking dinner, moving from one cupboard to another, only to turn to find him right behind me. He almost got beamed with a frying pan for that one. Another time I'll be getting ready for work and doing my make up only to have him spring from behind the shower curtain. With visions of the movie Psycho dancing in my head I blinded myself with mascara, it's the only thing that saved him.

Somehow he doesn't see the difference between when I scare him and when he scares me...but I do.
He is young and agile,.. I'm getting old and could have a heart attack at any time. Hence, our new house rule....don't scare the mommy!

*Note, rule does not exclude scaring said small minor child....bwah ha ha






8 Comments:
Blogger carmilevy had this to say:

Looks like he's learned his lessons well. You're a good Mom: you've taught him that it's OK to have a sense of humor.

Hope you're feeling better.

4:00 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger archshrk had this to say:

When i was younger, i used to love playing this prank on my sister where I would plant those popper caps (the kind you throw on the ground and would explode) Anyway, i would place them in the hindge of the door so that it pop when the door was closed - I would be convienently somewhere far away. My mom did not find this as funny as I did.

4:04 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger Rose DesRochers had this to say:

I too have a son who likes to scare me. I enjoyed visiting your blog!

Rose DesRochers

4:37 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger Thumper had this to say:

It's creepy when they're in their 20s and still try to scare you... ;)

Here via Michele's tjis afternoon!

4:44 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger srp had this to say:

Michele sent me today.
As a single mom as well I know how the child can be. It is very unnerving to wake up in the middle of the night with a figure standing, her face about six inches from yours, saying nothing, just staring. Why? She wanted a glass of water. Who knows how long she was there. Not good for the heart.

4:49 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger Malinda777 had this to say:

Nice blog, here from Michele.

4:53 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger WendyWings had this to say:

I have a 13 year old boy who likes to hide behind doors then yell DID I SCARE YOU when he jumps out.
Not good for the mother at all :)

Michele sent me today. Have a great weekend.

5:10 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger Purring had this to say:

I live with a MAN who delights in doing this. He's been warned...I WILL hit him with a pan if push comes to shove. It's his game but I've written the rules

1:25 PM, February 13, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!