Multiple Personality Disorder
Monday, July 31, 2006

This weekend the adventurer side of me struggled gamely to the surface in time for this question: "Want to go to Mt. Rainier with the kids and hike some trails?"

Ms. Adventurer's head poked out from behind the sofa, knocked off the chips in her haste to be heard and yelled out a resounding, "YES", while clamping a hand over Ms. Couch potatoes mouth.

This is how I found myself strapped into my friends all terrain vehicle, a ten year old, nine year old, two year old, and the family dog all ashiver with excitement behind me.

Our first stop was Chenuis Falls in the Carbon River area of Mt. Rainier. It was on the "Easy" section of trails and fairly short. While Ms. Adventurer chortled at how easy that trail was, Ms. Couch Potato was lamenting over the amount of time she had to wait till she could stuff her face full again.

Since no one was maimed, killed, or otherwise disfigured, it was voted on that we would proceed to the next trail to see Ranger Falls and Green Lake. It's a three mile hike, three miles...Huh, I can do that shopping...so off we went.

I should have gotten an inkling of what we were in for when we passed those people passed out on the side of the trail..but oh no, my friend assured me they were just "resting"....rightttttt. After a full half hour of going straight up, even Ms. Adventure was beginning to have second thoughts. For God's sake, even the mall has escalators! No where in the trail guide did it mention that you would be proceeding at a 90 degree angle All Day.

We would pass people coming down along the way, who would then give encouragement to the children, things like, "you're almost there guys, how great your doing!", or "Keep it up, you're gonna love it!", to which my response was, "Hell, the kids are fine, anyone gotta winch to get my ass up the rest of this trail of death??"

Sadly, that was a no.

An hour later we reached the falls which is roughly half way to the lake. Both Ms. Couch potato and Ms. Adventure had to agree that the falls were majestic, awe inspiring, and breath taking...or that may just have been been the 1.8 uphill mile hike....

luckily for us, my friend decided that another 1.8 miles uphill to visit a lake could wait for another day and after we tackled Ms. Adventurer down and sat on her, Ms. Couch Potato gave a whole hearty agreement to that idea. Both Potato and Adventure breathed a collected sigh of relief as we trundled down the mountain at a brisk jog/stumble/slide/scream.

Surprisingly no one argued internally when I set us all up for a date with Mr. Painkiller.

So Ms. Adventurer is quiet for now and Ms.Couch Potato soothed into a coma by Sunday's day of laziness; however, Ms. Literary is on the warpath. She currently is writing an angry rant demanding immediate reclassifcation of the Green Lake trail from "Easy" to "Vertical Trail of Torture."






7 Comments:
Blogger Carrie had this to say:

Sometimes you have to just love Ms. Adventurer. I myself get tired of Ms. Couch Potato but rarely let Ms. Adventurer that I keep locked down in the basement forcing her to put the lotion on the skin,

12:40 PM, July 31, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

My Ms. Adventure is getting itchy. She's about to go on the war path and whip her family into shape.

1:22 PM, July 31, 2006 

Blogger Tia had this to say:

Ha Ha! That was cute! Here from Michele's. =)

I just recently did a 600+ mile motorcycle ride in two days with my older brother in Finland while visiting my family. He and I both thought I wouldn't make it. He was the one crying for ice for his butt after the first 150 miles. It's fun to push oneself like that isn't it? (Oh, just hush, Ms. Couch Potato!) Sure it is!

1:49 PM, July 31, 2006 

Blogger Purring had this to say:

Hiking=Bad
Couching=Good

5:02 PM, July 31, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

i like hiking. take some good photos?

mlah

9:48 PM, July 31, 2006 

Blogger Gypsy had this to say:

But doing 3 miles while shopping you can stop and have a Cinnabon. ;)

Good job on the hike! Sometimes adventure has to win out.

7:38 AM, August 01, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

This is hysterical. My husband and I were cracking up! Great post!

8:30 PM, August 03, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!