Teachers
Thursday, February 09, 2006

When I was in first grade my teacher was Mrs. Durrio. I loved her, nay, Worshiped the ground she walked on. She used to give tickets for being good, and since I was so shy I was practically mute, I was considered VERY good. Now, you could take these tickets and buy a prize from the prize closet, or you could hoard a gazillion of them and get to spend the night at her house. The idea of that happening today just gives me the creeps.

But, off I went, overnight bag in hand. I spent the night and basically was treated like a miniature barbie by her two older daughters. I was in seventh heaven. The only snag was when they asked where my robe was. Robe? Hell, I'd just moved from Panama, I was just getting used to the idea of a coat....

Well this same beloved teacher of mine was the same one who told my mother that I would never learn how to spell. Mind you, this was first grade. Not only did she tell my mother this, she told her in front of me.

I believed her.

For the next two years I struggled with spelling. There were lots of tears and frustration at home till in fourth grade, when I had Mrs. Sullivan.
Now Mrs. Sullivan was very old and very mean. She was maybe four foot nothing with stark white hair and glasses. She was stoop shouldered and she could catch you cheating even if her back was to you. The whole class was petrified of her. Now being the mouse of a girl that I was, I barely spoke above a whisper to her and was seriously ashamed of my inability to spell. Raise my hand for help? Not even if I was bleeding buckets.
At my first parent teacher conference the dreaded subject came up...spelling. My mother informed Mrs. Sullivan about what Mrs. Durrio had said about me. The fire came into Mrs. Sullivans eyes, and I thought , "oh boy, I'm in for it now".
Instead she looked at me with that fierce look she had and said,
"That woman was full of HogWash! You listen up and listen good. You can spell! You and I will work all year if we have too but you can do it. I believe in you."

I loved her from that moment on.






6 Comments:
Blogger Dale Challener Roe had this to say:

Any teacher who gave up on one of my kids like that would have to face Jeni's wrath....I would almost feel sorry for her.

Here via Michele's today.

11:17 AM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger the Intuitive Woman had this to say:

Nice story. All teachers should be a lot more like Mrs. Sullivan and a whole lot less like Mrs. Durrio. And? I didn't notice one spelling error in your post, so looks like Mrs. Durrio was full of hogwash!

Here via Michele's. All the best.

11:21 AM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger the Intuitive Woman had this to say:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:21 AM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger sage had this to say:

spelling was always a challenge for me--then and now--maybe I needed a Mrs. Sullivan. Here from Michele's.

12:08 PM, February 10, 2006 

Blogger Kristal had this to say:

My daughter's kindergarten teacher gives tickets, too. Although I can't imagine letting her spend the night!! That's crazy! Things sure have changed...

Here via Michele

12:19 PM, February 10, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

How fabulous to ahve got Mrs. Sullivan.

7:34 PM, February 11, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!