Empowerment
Monday, January 23, 2006

I have a passion for kickboxing. More accurately, the boxing part of Kick..boxing. I haven't been as faithfull to it since my mother passed away. The flavor in life drained away with her and left me in shades of mourning grey. I've packed on the weight like so many pillows. Building a wall between me and the world. This year, I've begun to take apart that wall, one little bit of fluff at a time.

It's time to become reacquainted with myself.

Part of that introduction was my kickboxing. The bag hangs in my carport, a gentle reprimand I walk past every day. Not this weekend. This weekend we had a nice long visit.

There is something about the ritual of it. The drum beat that plays in my ear as I suit up. Strapping my MP3 player to my hip, shaking loose the tension from my legs and arms. The almost religious practice of wrapping my hands. Weaving the wrap around my hands and wrists. Gearing up for battle. Only the battleground is in my mind, it always has been.

The impact of flesh to bag. How the power of it shudders up my arm and across my shoulders. The fluidity of moving from a punch to a roundhouse kick,back to a jab, almost ballet like in it's deftness and technique. The smell of canvas, sweat and blood.

Empowerment.

It's funny the almost silly pride I take when I look at these small hands. Knuckles scabbed and scarred, nails long and feminine. Such a study in contrasts...just like me.






4 Comments:
Blogger Unknown had this to say:

Kick boxing? That seems to be a great way to control your child when they're refusing to do what you want. :-)

Michele sent me.

2:25 PM, January 23, 2006 

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills had this to say:

What a grrat post...! I can see all of it, soooo vividely...I love the comtrasts you speak of in your hands...Very Wonderful! Much good luck getting reaquaited with yourself...!

Here from Michele today!

2:25 PM, January 23, 2006 

Blogger Margaret had this to say:

Good for you! I need to get busy ridding myself of a princess' bed full of pillows!

3:09 PM, January 23, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Hm, interesting. It sounds like great catharsis and physical exercise besides.

2:25 PM, January 27, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!