The Red Head Strikes Again
Wednesday, December 06, 2006

"Are you Kendell's mom?" she asks sweetly, her head cocked to the side in a coy attempt to disarm me.
"Guilty" I respond with a smile. Who does she think she's dealing with here? An amateur?
She giggles, her freckles flashing bright against her pale skin and turns with a flare to saunter back to her desk.

"She loves me mom" Kendell whispers to me from between lips that manage to not move yet still broadcasts loud enough to be heard in space.
"Oh yeah?" I say as I eye the little red headed contender between squinted eye lids.
"Yeah, she told me last year AND this year."
"How do you feel about that?" I ask while my inner dialog is screaming 'Aaaaaagghhhh'.
"Is it ok to like a girl?" He asks hesitantly
Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson!!
"Uh, yeah, it's normal" I stutter out. Normal for OTHER peoples kids maybe, certainly not MY precious baby.
He releases a heavy sigh, the kind you reserve for after you've saved a baby kitten from certain death at the hands of the neighborhood pit bull. THAT kind of heavy sigh.

"Great! Can I kiss her?"
Hell NO!
"I think that you should wait for that. You're to young to go around kissing all those girls" I say, frantically trying to back peddle out of deep waters.

"Well, I kissed her already"
Steam shoots from my ears
"Oh. You did?" my voice is surprisingly normal while visions of barbecued red heads on a stick, dance through my head.
"Yeah, on the hand. She giggled." He grins at me.

Sigh, "Oh, ok. Well, keep away from her lips."
Wait. Did I just actually say that? That's implying that he should kiss her elsewhere. What am I thinking? Am I INSANE??

"I mean, that's enough kissing for now." I add.
"Well, when am I allowed to kiss her then?" His big brown eyes look at me imploringly.
Pause
..."When your married."

Conversation over, a good soldier knows when to retreat.






14 Comments:
Blogger Just a trumpet player had this to say:

**giggles**

Just wait for the "I asked her on a date" line... yep, makes you feel real young, doesn't it ?

Were should I send that bottle of vodka ?

3:49 PM, December 06, 2006 

Blogger Keshi had this to say:

lol so cute!

How old is this young man? :)

Keshi.

4:31 PM, December 06, 2006 

Blogger Kara had this to say:

Keshi,
He's 11 and in 5th grade.
Justatrumpetplayer-please fed ex vodka!

4:35 PM, December 06, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

He's right on time. And you're right on track.

I distinctly remember having five girlfriends when I was eleven. Sadly, none of them knew. More significantly, neither did my mom or dad; I think your son's freedom to talk with you is completely cool, and give both of you a solid foundation for whatever "challenges" await.

Barbecued redhead indeed.

6:11 PM, December 06, 2006 

Blogger Michael had this to say:

Heh heh... I have a fifteen year old son (16 in January)... I don't worry about him so much, he's giving other fathers headaches I'm sure. I also have a ten year old daughter, now THAT one I will lose sleep over... ;-)

6:16 PM, December 06, 2006 

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills had this to say:

Delightful! How old is he???

I had a very serious boyfriend when we were both nine years old....We would sit on the back stairs at my house and neck and neck and neck some more! (lol)
It was GREAT, I must say...! So I don't think it's a bad thing myself....!

6:57 PM, December 06, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

....and then you had a big stiff drink, right? ;)

10:29 PM, December 06, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

LOL!! That's adorable. :)

6:45 AM, December 07, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

You're to young to go around kissing all those girls

Gosh, you're no fun. You sound like my mom! ;)

7:05 AM, December 07, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Oh my. I remember that stage. Sometimes I miss that stage. Have I said that my oldest is *gulp* 16?

Now who needs the vodka?

And incidentally, who has a bottle chilling in the fridge? Yep, me. That's who. LOL!

9:57 AM, December 07, 2006 

Blogger Carrie had this to say:

Pass that bottle this way. I can tell you some horror stories about me. French kissed when I was 10. Yeah baby! I was a magnet. You can see from my picture on my blog today.

I have one question though, why is it that you can't kiss boys but he can kiss girls?

(Oh yeah! When I first started reading this, I thought you were talking about YOUR girlfriend. The teacher.)

11:05 AM, December 07, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Gaaaa! Zed is still too shy to talk to girls. He's not interested yet. Thank god.

12:21 PM, December 07, 2006 

Blogger Kara had this to say:

Carrie- Ten? You hussy..lol.
Did you click the link in the first line? (SHE) it's the story I wrote about the same little girl last year.

12:48 PM, December 07, 2006 

Blogger ƒåυνέ had this to say:

I have to agree with Carrie here...strike him a deal - he can kiss girls when he 'allows' you to kiss boys.

8:56 AM, December 09, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!