That Little Red Headed Girl
Thursday, January 19, 2006

My son informed me the other day of this girl in his classroom who has a crush on him. Yesterday I had the privilege of being a chaperone on a trip to see the local youth symphony. About halfway through the first song I noticed a cute little gal sitting in the seat directly in front of my son. She brought to mind a cross between Strawberry Shortcake and Charlie Brown's crush, the cute little redheaded girl. She was all arms and legs and the sweetest little gamin grin. Her fiery hair was cropped in a long bob and the bridge of her nose adorned with the bane of many a red head..yes, freckles.

I spent most of the symphony listening to music and watching the courting rituals of fourth grade girls. My son, being a typical ten, spent most of the time conducting the symphony from his fifth row seat, his face exaggerated with expressions better suited to a woman in labor rather then a conductor. His paramour in waiting spent her time looking back at him and giggling at his antics, which really, were not that funny, and flipping her hair over the back of the seat in order to tempt my casanova into pulling her flaming tresses.

Now her hair is barely long enough to settle below her jaw bone, the act of getting it to lay down over the back of her seat required her to sink in her chair and fluff it over the seat, something she did several times between giggles and coy glances back. It was such an obvious ploy to me, but not my son. She really was a cutie pie and I figure if he has to have a crush, she would be an ideal one in my eyes.

On the way home I quizzed him about her. When I asked why he didn't like her I got the usual non committal shrug and a "I dunno".
When pressed his response was

"Aw Mom....she has FRECKLES"

Hmph, boys...so fickle






9 Comments:
Blogger Fern Bourrie had this to say:

Freckles are cute, especially on a redhead!! Here via Michele!

3:04 PM, January 19, 2006 

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills had this to say:

What a great story...To witness these'mating rituals. is wonderful!! My first true "affair", (well...sort of...Heavy necking is all) I was 9 and so was he and we were 'in love'....no doubt about it! So, it can happen...

Here from Michele today!

3:18 PM, January 19, 2006 

Blogger Joe had this to say:

Great post. I got three boys. My oldest son (who is 7) is just now really noticing girls. When I ask him about the girls in his class he turns three shades of red and wont even look at me. Too cute!

Here via Michele.

4:03 PM, January 19, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I don't think the freckles are a big deterrent for most kids. Of course, I'm judging this based on the fact that my daughter has a new "boyfriend" every week (she's 9) and my son has already had one little girl state that she is going to marry him when she's grown (they're both 5.) Little girls are far more devious than little boys, too. I went along on one of my son's field trips in October, and the mother of one of the girls who likes him told me that the girl asks her every morning as she gets dressed if she looks pretty enough for William (aka Tripp.)

4:18 PM, January 19, 2006 

Blogger Mike had this to say:

Awh, young love! :)

6:11 PM, January 19, 2006 

Blogger carmilevy had this to say:

When he's older, he'll be chasing girls like that precisely BECAUSE of their freckles.

Lovely story. And so it begins...

4:32 AM, January 20, 2006 

Blogger katehopeeden had this to say:

Freckles SUCK when you are a kid. I LOATHED my freckles when I was a kid.
I want to go to schools and tell all the little girls with freckles not to worry because the BIG boys dig them when you grow up ;)
~K

12:27 PM, January 20, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Freckles! Maybe they won't seem so bad to him in a year or two. :-)

2:27 PM, January 27, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:40 AM, February 05, 2007 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!