My Allstar
Thursday, October 19, 2006



Eleven years ago today I was barely 22, single, naive, and about to become your mom.

I remember that morning as your grandma took me to the hospital so that they could induce your birth. I was so excited, scared, and so ready to meet you.

You were just not ready to come into this world yet and it took you ten long hours to make your debut. Worn out by such a long birth, you were a mottled blue and red. Your breathing was labored and I was frightened. The nurses whisked you away before I could even hold you in my arms, your grandmother hurrying after them to make sure you would be alright.

The first time I got to hold you was that evening. It seemed an eternity before they brought you to me all wrapped up and looking like a little football player with your beanie hat and chubby cheeks. You're silky black hair spilled from beneath your cap and your chocolate brown eyes were wide and knowing.

So strong, even from the beginning. You were pushing up on your arms hours after being born. Your strength and never ending curiosity about life amazes me to this day.

As you grew, my joy grew with you. You could make me laugh with your sweet baby giggle and make me melt when you would snuggle your downy head under my chin. You were such a stubborn toddler. So ready to take on the world and everyone in it.

From early on I knew you would always stand up where others gave in. You have a sense of self I so often see lacking in adults. You know your strengths and weaknesses and strive so hard to succeed and make me proud.

There are mornings where the joy has already been leached from my day by stress and worries, days where taking one step forward seems an insurmountable task. You are my breath of fresh air. The strength I need to keep moving. You are my class clown and strident defender.

You have overcome so much in your short eleven years. You have withstood tragedy and loss that would have made an adult stagger and fold. You make me so proud of you, each and every day. We argue and and we fight, we disagree and get angry, but you always are my little man and surround me with such hope for the future. You amaze me with your capacity for love.

You are my hero, my reason for waking up each morning, and I treasure every second God has given us together.

Happy birthday boobear.

Mommy






4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

What a beautiful post! :)

9:05 PM, October 19, 2006 

Blogger Kristen had this to say:

kara -- what a gift this is to kendell, and what a gift he obviously is to you.
i have welled up reading the love that flows from your words.

9:08 PM, October 19, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

That was so lovely. Happy Birthday, Kendell!

6:11 AM, October 20, 2006 

Blogger Carrie had this to say:

Gosh girl, you trying to make me cry? That was really lovely.

Happy Birthday Kendall!

9:27 AM, October 20, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!