Wishes
Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I wished upon a star
my face so young and unlined
heart still whole, yet unaffected
by the harsh passage of time
I curled up my small hands in prayer
tucked my toes under my gown
bowed my head to concentrate
on imbuing magic in the sound

I wished upon that star
wishes still unheard
and drifted off to slumber, clinging to the words

If I could tuck that little girl in bed
pull the covers to her chin
I would whisper for her to dream dreams instead
because wishes disappear

Our bodies age and our eyes grow old
but the largest toll that is taken
are the dreams left to flounder,
forgotten and forsaken
our dreams are dried and empty now
withered into husks
we've settled into familiarity
landed where we must

We've tucked the dreams inside us
tattered and faded memories
turned away from childhood fancy
to face the everyday

but that little girl inside
still makes wishes on a star
if only she would take the time
instead to dream
to reach for a little more

"Don't be scared"
I'd whisper
"Don't be afraid to fail"
"There is nothing worse here between heaven and hell
then dreams left unfulfilled"
I'd kiss her on her downy cheek
smooth her silky hair from her forehead
I'd hold her hand till she sleeps
and send prayers in her stead

Instead of wishes that melt away by tears
driven away with disappointments
I'd send her courage and wisdom swift
and bravery beyond proportion

I long for that little girl
the one with open eyed belief
I miss her in the silent night
when I feel most incomplete
I long to give her knowledge
show her the error of her ways

Yet still

I long to believe in wishes
If only for a day






6 Comments:
Blogger nikki had this to say:

I.LOVE.THIS.

10:42 AM, October 17, 2006 

Blogger Carrie had this to say:

It is amazing how we grow up to be so wise.

Or so we think. I loved this.

1:34 PM, October 17, 2006 

Blogger ƒåυνέ had this to say:

You really should have put a warning at the beginning of this...like I wasn't a mess as it was. ::sigh::

6:08 AM, October 18, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Lovely.

6:55 AM, October 18, 2006 

Blogger Kal had this to say:

Sometimes these wishes are all that we have, you wouldn't take that away from her, would you?

8:35 AM, October 18, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Wishes. Dreams.

9:16 AM, October 18, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!