Unpacking
Sunday, December 17, 2006

I sit in the middle of the living room, faded newspapers crumpled around me as I unpack each ornament and touch the memories that resonate off their surface.

Each one breaths into me bursts of images that remind me why I go through this year after year. Kendell looks up at me and smiles as he begins another box.

I hear him gasp with pleasure when he comes across our Christmas stockings. I see him pull them out of the box, eyes already seeing the stockings hung and full of surprises gifted on a Christmas morning.

The scent of fir tree and candle wax drift around us and the world seems to have turned into all things glittery and light.

I hear a small sound of dismay pass from Kendell's lips and look over to see him clutching a satin furred stocking against his cheek. It's deep red contrasts against the cinnamon of his skin and his lashes brush down against his cheek as a tear slides down from beneath them.

He looks at me with a face older in it's mourning and shows me the stocking in his hand.

I remember making the letters with glue and glitter for my mother the year Kendell was born. "Grandma", it says.

Today, Christmas smells like memories






5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Oh Kendall! Makes me want to hug him. :)

11:33 AM, December 18, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Such precious memories. :)

11:39 AM, December 18, 2006 

Blogger Carrie had this to say:

You got you one heck of a man. I'm telling ya.


(For some stupid reason, my computer locks up when I come to your blog. My computer is in love you or something.)

2:39 PM, December 18, 2006 

Blogger Jodi had this to say:

Very nice. Great thoughts.
J.

2:56 PM, December 18, 2006 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Oh how bittersweet.

12:26 PM, December 19, 2006 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





about me picture

  • Name:Kara
  • Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
  • view my blogger profile
  • Lavish Praise Upon Me
  • I'm a recovering single mother trying desperately to see humor in my day to day toil while simultaneously avoiding reality as much as humanly possible.

    Current Cravings

  • Amazon Wish List







  • www.flickr.com
    This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from KaraMia. Make your own badge here.


    Powered by: Blogger
    design by: girliebits.





    My Blog Directory

    Bloggy Award Blogroll Me!